Friday, May 23, 2008

The Roasted Bean Routine


Our work site in Pascagoula was about a 40-minute shuttle bus ride from the Beau Rivage hotel. Right away I learned that one way to cope with waking up early for a day of manual labor was to stop by the Roasted Bean coffee shop at the Beau, purchase a large coffee, and enjoy the ride.

This one little thing dramatically altered the trajectory of my day. I know, because on the first day of the work week, Monday, I did not purchase coffee. Thinking vats of it would be available when we arrived at the large gathering tent for breakfast, I walked right past the Roasted Bean.
That first morning I missed out on one of life's little pleasantries: sipping coffee, heavily laced with skim milk and artificial sugar (I know, I'm weaning myself of it) early in the morning before reaching my destination. But I learned. Every morning after that I stopped in at the Roasted Bean.
While I can't say I was 20% smarter for the rest of the day, I am certain that I was 20% more enjoyable to be around. As I looked around and saw other Habitat workers cradling their cups of coffee they seemed to be experiencing the same gentle effect.

Therein lies one of the keys to a more civilized society: a warm breakfast beverage to get your blood circulating and help you wake up, a long ride with someone else at the wheel, and perhaps a friend or two to talk with. (Or a cocoon of tunes.) I believe if more of us began our days that way we could be well on our way to achieving what treaties and peace talks haven't: a world of friendly people who help each other get important things done.

If you don't believe me, look at what we achieved last week: we were part of an effort to build 250 homes along the Gulf Coast. The coffee and conversation were part of the success. Because you sure can't create something wonderful if you're not alert and grumpy.

No comments: