Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ready To Build With Jimmy and Rosalynn?

Several months ago I signed up to help build houses in Biloxi, MS with the Habitat for Humanity team. One reason I agreed was that several people from work would be part of the crew, and I had an image of myself fearlessly swinging a hammer in the heat of mid-day, impressing my colleagues with my substantial homebuilding know-how acquired primarily from watching hundreds of hours of HGTV.

The other reason was that Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter would be there. They've been tireless Habitat for Humanity volunteers for 25 years. I thought working on the annual build they lend their names and energy to might be one of those history-in-the-making experiences I could tell my grandkids about.

Okay, there was one other reason. I thought I might learn a new and useful skill, like putting up drywall or installing plumbing fixtures.

So I'm writing a blog about the experience. I will take photos and talk to volunteers while working side by side with more than 1,700 volunteers and 60 families as we build 30 new homes, refurbish 30 homes, and construct 48 frames to be completed later. I hope to create an experience for you that is almost like being there, except without the perspiration.

1 comment:

linda said...

I'm so glad you will be writing about the HFH project. I read abouta woman from that area who will be working on landscaping for some of the homes. Sounds like somthing you would enjoy. Same passion different plants. This is my first blog . I will launch it into 'thin air" and hope it reaches you. linda