Monday, May 26, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go AWAY!


Wherever you are in the world, if you watched The Weather Channel at all this weekend you may have noted that the entire state of Kansas has been marked in red, indicating a high probability of severe weather.

It has rained every day for the past four days, with several weather adventures happening every day. None of them tornadoes, thankfully, at least not in my little suburb. My heart goes out, though, to all the folks whose weather adventures were of the tornado type. Some people lost their cars, some their homes, and a few, their lives.

About six inches of rain have fallen here in the last four days. I knew it was getting bad when I went downstairs and found the cat adrift in the basement, clinging to a couch pillow with the remote in her paw.

Yes, Mother Nature is on a tear this spring. While I am thankful that a tornado has not leveled my home, I am finding all this water frustrating. My back yard has become a marsh. I fear I will need an airboat to get around it if the rain continues. While I always appreciate an excuse for not having to mow the lawn, today was different. I would much rather have mowed the back yard today than continue to hear the sound of rain pummeling my skylight. I did manage to mow the front before the latest deluge, a small victory on a very wet weekend.

During the brief break from rain I also planted some tomato plants in the mushy raised bed. If all goes well, in about 90 days I will have enough tomatoes to start a small salsa canning business. Of particular note is a hybrid called “Mr. Stripey” that features orange and red stripes. I don’t know how Mr. Stripey will taste on mayonnaise-slathered honey wheatberry bread, accompanied by his friends Mr. Bacon and Ms. Lettuce, but I was intrigued enough by his looks to purchase a couple of his plants to find out. I also planted a Roma, four Big Boys, and a couple of Beefsteak. There’s still room in the garden for more, but before I surrender the space to just any hybrid, I want to conduct additional research and locate some rare heirlooms to see if they will grow in my corner of the world.

But if this rain continues, Mr. Stripey and the Big Boys will float off before they have a chance to thrive. I just hope they don’t take the cat with them. She still has the remote.

No comments: