Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hunkering Down


A blizzard tomorrow? Sounds like an April Fool's joke. C'mon, it's late March! The redbuds are blooming, the daffodils are waving in the wind....spring officially arrived last week!

But the weather guys are serious. My favorite meteorologist, Mike Smith, was quoted today in the Wichita Eagle saying, "This could rival the biggest snow we've ever had in Wichita."

You know I'll do almost anything to get out of mowing the lawn, but I did NOT pray for a blizzard. I would have been happy with drenching spring rains.

Here in Wichita, we could get a foot of snow. Cities and towns west of us have already declared tomorrow a snow day. A person posting on Twitter said his in-laws couldn't get past Colby on their way to Keystone, Colorado. Late this afternoon people stopped by the Dillons Marketplace at Central and Rock to stock up. I was one of them.

I didn't need much. I already feel prepared to weather the storm, with nine jars of salsa, Progresso soup (only 1 Weight Watchers point per serving!), an assortment of crackers, Lean Cuisine, and spaghetti sauce. I figured all I needed was some salad fixins and some veggie burgers for tomorrow (it's Lent). The wine cellar is ready to be pressed into service if necessary, with an assortment of velvety Cabernets. Should I tire of those, an assortment of lightly fruited Chardonnays awaits.

But that's just the beginning. I also have four bags of split peas, some wagon wheel pasta, lentils, tomato paste, a five-pound bag of rice, a jar of bay leaves, and three large cans of diced tomatoes. These are left over from an ill-fated attempt at Christmas to create "friendship soup" jars to give as gifts to family and friends. Putting together cute little jars of layered soup ingredients topped with a festive piece of holiday cloth proved to be too daunting a task during an already overscheduled time of year. Thus I returned the raw materials to my pantry where they currently occupy a great deal of real estate, crowding out the salsa.

Being prepared to withstand the elements does not end with a well-stocked pantry. In the event of a power outage I have a flashlight and a package of extra batteries. If only I could find them. I may have covered them up with the split peas.

Most important, should the heat go out, I have warmth in the form of two thick down comforters. Just thinking about wrapping up in them and reading a book while sitting next to a crackling fire makes me almost want to dare Mother Nature to do her worst.

But I don't believe in tempting fate. I'll expect the best, prepare for the worst, and see what happens.

Just know this: should you become stranded in east Wichita, I have a large basement, dozens of DVDs, and a well-stocked wine cellar. And I can whip up a batch of split-pea/lentil/tomato/pasta soup seasoned with bay leaves faster than you can say 'Frosty the Snowman.'


No comments: